Thursday, November 5, 2015

Delicious Alchemy Gluten-free, Dairy-free Oaty Cookies


One of my work colleagues is gluten intolerant but most of the bakes I’ve brought into work recently have been things I’ve made to have at home and had some left, and I thought it was about time I actually made something gluten free.
 
Every so often I purchase a Degustabox – it’s a monthly subscription service but you can dip in and out, which I have reviewed (after buying with my own money) before. I had one of their boxes a couple of months ago which included a packet of gluten-free cookie mix so one evening – given I’m always short of time after work – I decided to make the cookies.
 
The company behind these mixes is called Delicious Alchemy; they make cake and bread mixes and cereals as well and have a limited edition Christmas fruit cake mix available at the moment as well. It was started by a computer games producer who discovered she was coeliac and went off to university to study food science and marketing. They’ve launched products in Sainsburys and Waitrose and they are also available through their website. I’d never come across the company before but I love their colourful packaging and fun approach – the company history timeline has an anecdote about how the founder discovered she was coeliac (an ear of wheat down her sock!) and another about the time the company accountant got stuck in a lift.
 
The mix I had, the Oaty Cookie mix, was so easy to make. All you do is mix the contents of the bag with melted butter and water – you can also make these cookies vegan by using a butter-substitute which is what I did, after hearing that another colleague also can’t eat gluten or dairy.

 
I got 9 cookies out of the mixture and they were so quick and easy to make, and tasted pretty good too. I think they would have been better with butter and they were not particularly sweet – which is a good thing as it makes them feel a bit healthier. Also, my colleague said that often gluten-free products are packed full of sugar and she finds them too sweet, so she really likes these. In fact when I told her about the packet mix I’d used, she went on to the company’s website and ordered some herself!


I'm sharing these with Treat Petite, hosted by Kat the Baking Explorer and Stuart at Cakeyboi, as their theme this month is autumn, and I think there is something very autumnal and warming about oats.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment