Monday, May 7, 2018

Lemon and Poppyseed Loaf Cake


Towards the end of my maternity leave - and right after my baby was born - I developed the famous 'nesting instinct' and decided to sort out my kitchen cupboards. It's been really helpful because now I'm short of time I can find everything more easily - I also made a fair bit of space by throwing out packets of food I'd forgotten I'd bought that were long out of date!

I found a packet of poppy seeds - still in date - which I'd bought for a recipe ages ago and never used. I was expecting neighbours around the following afternoon to meet baby S and thought a lemon and poppy seed cake - lemon is commonly paired with poppy seeds for some reason - would be a nice easy one to make if I did it as a loaf cake.

I used this recipe from BBC Good Food which turned out really well - very light and fluffy and surprisingly moist. In the end the neighbours had to cancel and reschedule for the following week so I ended up eating most of this cake myself!

The mixture looks quite odd when you add the poppy seeds:


Much better when the other ingredients are in.


Before baking in the loaf tin:


The baked cake, cooling on a rack.


 
 With the lemon glaze

Perfect with a cup of tea!
 


.I'm sharing this with CookBlogShare and Love Cake hosted by JibberJabberUK.

0 comments:

Post a Comment